Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 02:24:48 -0700
From:      John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   root mail message: newsyslog...

Hi.

I have been repeatedly getting the following mail from the bsd 2.2.6
system to myself (as root):

     The re line refers to /usr/bin/newsyslog, while the body says
"newsyslog: can't open /var/run/syslog.pid file to restart a daemon: No
such file or directory
  newsyslog: log not compressed because daemon not notified."

Can anyone tell me what it means? Or do I need to provide more info?

Thanks,
John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>