Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:54:48 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (where are linux threads?) Re: pthreads question/problem...

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > >   Doesn't it seem obvious to anyone other than myself that the current
> > > interest in porting Linux's 1-1 threads is a pretty good indication that
> > > people want 1-1 threads in FreeBSD? Is the only way we are going to get
> >
> > I think it seems more obvious that the set of people willing to talk
> > about more aggressive threading models and the people willing to
> > actually do the work don't often (enough) intersect or there would be
> > more tangible development effort going on in this area.
> >
> > Don't just gripe to us about how disillusioned you are over the fact
> > that santa clause was discovered to be a fake and your first sexual
> > experience didn't live up to its billing, that is merely extraneous
> > information and doesn't convey much more than "I'm really upset!",
> > something which won't get you much sympathy around here given that
> > we're not real big on maternal instincts around here.  If the lack of
> > something in FreeBSD annoys you, fix it.  Where do you think the
> > motivation to fix so much of what was previously broken in FreeBSD
> > came from?
>
> I may be mistaken, but you're both misunderstanding me.  from reading
> recent posts on -current i could have sworn i saw that _NATIVE_
> "linuxthreads" were now available to freebsd.
>
> I think you need to compile a kernel and world with:
> CFLAGS+= COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS
>
> to achive this, the only thing that seems to be missing is a FreeBSD
> userland interface to it.
>
> Is there any chance that this will become standard in FreeBSD? (the thread
> died off without mentioning if it will become default)  what about
> userland interface?

I hope so..  If we can get the stuff cleaned up a bit in time, yes it
should be a go.  The main reservations I've heard about it are moving
struct sigacts outside of the upages and loosing the swappability. Granted
it't not a really big thing yet, but once we go from 32 to (say) 64 signals
it doubles.  Struct proc itself is around the same size. Because of malloc
roundup, that'd be 1/2KB of extra unswappable data per process (and soon
maybe 1K).  Multiply that by a heap of processes and it adds up in a
memory crunch.

Cheers,
-Peter