Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 17:22:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions about Bus Mastering

On Fri, 22 May 1998 at 15:42:09 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Bus mastering...
>
> What I know about it? This is the PCI technology similar to DMA channels
> on the ISA bus. It allows adapters to control the bus. Thus, they can
> deliver their data directly to RAM, minimizing the workload on the CPU.
> Am I right?

Partially.  There are two kinds of DMA, master and slave.  In slave
DMA, the DMA controller handles the transfer, whereas in master mode
the controller board controls the transfer.  In both cases, the CPU is
only involved for setup.  Master mode requires more intelligence on
the controller board, of course.  It's not specific to PCI.

> Questions:
>
> 1. What existing hardware supports bus mastering: SCSI host
>    adapters,

Adaptec 2900 series, etc.

>    IDE controllers,

Most modern mother boards have bus master DMA IDE ports.  The latest
is "Ultra DMA", which boasts speeds of up to 33 MB/s.

> Network adapters?

Sorry, I can't name any.

> 2. Does FreeBSD support bus mastering and for which hardware?

Yes.  It's my understanding that most modern bus master boards will
only work in this mode.  I don't know of any in which FreeBSD doesn't
support it, though in particular with IDE it needs to be turned on
(look at the comments in the LINT configuration file).

Greg