Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:01:29 -0600
From:      Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net>
To:        Rickard =?iso-8859-1?q?Borgm=E4ster?= <doktorn@realworld.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating installed packages/ports

On Thu 28 Feb 02 05:35, you wrote:
> I've now completed the system upgrade 4.3-4.5 using make buildworld
> etc. Now, which is the best way to upgrade my ports and packages?
>
> Removing everything with pkg_delete and then installing new packages
> with pkg_add or making from ports is of course one way. Not the
> easiest but still.
>
> What do you recommend?

The way I understand things work, if you keep the Ports Tree up to date (via
CVSUP, etc.), then a simple "pkg_version -v > pkg_version.txt" will bounce
your installed packages/ports as listed in /var/db/pkg against the Ports Tree
and give you a file telling  you the ports installed, which are up to date
with the Tree, and which need to be upgraded, and to what version.

However, this way tells you nothing about dependencies, unfortunately.

To my (admittedly) limited knowledge, just because you upgrade from 4.X to
4.X+1 doesn't necessarily mean you need to upgrade (all) the ports/packages.
If this is incorrect, someone please let me know, because I am about to
upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5 myself

drc
--
Dave Cantrell		| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is User Friendly.
phaedrus@alltel.net	| It's just choosy with whom it makes friends.