Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:21:31 -0500
From:      David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
To:        Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: identifying my network address

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 06:20:24PM -0800, Daxbert wrote:
> Quoting David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>:
>
> > I am running an Xwindow on a windows box. I need a script to
> > tell me what my network address is so that I can set my DISPLAY
> > variable correctly eg: 192.168.1.2:0.0
> >
> > Any idea what command would be useful for this purpose?
>
> How are you connecting to the *nix box?  If you're using an SSH client, you
> could just enable X11 port forwarding (on both the client and server), and let
> SSH handle the DISPLAY variable assignment.  Not to mention, your X traffic can
> then come back thru any ACLs/FW policies that might otherwise block standard
> :60xx X traffic.

I am connecting with xwin32. I have a unix window on my winbox, but
what I want is the IP address in unix when the window comes up, so
I could simply set the variable in .profile with a

DISPLAY=$ipaddress:0.0
export DISPLAY

I know xwin32 is capable of ssh, but I do not believe I am running it.
If it is necessary to run ssh to do it, then it might prove difficult,
because whenever I've run ssh it really slows things down and I think
that would be poor performance when I need graphics. No?