Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:56:01 +0200
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current make depend: 'ar_args' has incomplete type help

  On Sep 29 at 15:48, suken woo spoke:

> i do it as your indication,but i get cpp core dump

Ok. I must admit I'm a current-newbie.
Maybe I've done wrong assumptions.
I think there are several approaches to a current system.

1. download the current installation floppies and install via ftp
   from scratch. I have no experience how long this would take.

2. download the developer-preview cds and install from scratch. I'm
   now about to download them.

3. upgrade from a 4.6.2-Release or 4-Stable. I first tried from
   4.6.2-Release but I gave up. Then I tried from a 4-Stable. Then I
   realized that the version 3.2 of gcc might be required. (I got
   some compilation errors.) Then I tried buildworld/installworld.
   But I had several core-dumps. Even single `test -e' failed.
   I tried to patch several Makefiles. Finally I managed to
   installworld and installkernel. But then booting hung at apci.ko.
   Asking here on the current list I got no answers from the
   current-gurus.

I'm about to doubt, that the latter attempt is supposed to work at
all.
Thus I'm trying another approach. I'm about to download the 5.0-DP1
images...
(Maybe installing from floppy would take shorer...)

-Hanspeter