Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:39:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Portmap and ldconfig

Hi,

As part of the never-ending quest for security, I have recompiled
the RPC portmap daemon to use the tcp wrapper lib, libwrap.XXX.

The problem arises during boot:
	a) I linked portmap dynamically
	b) libwrap.so.XX  gets installed (by default) in /usr/local/lib
	c) portmap won't load, since ld.so can't find libwrap
	   (note, /usr/local/lib is on the same fs as /usr on that box).

Observations:
	d) portmap needs to be run early
	e) ldconfig needs to be run late

Questions:
	why is d) true? To mount other volumes NFS?

Solutions, your comments are solicited:
	a) copy libwrap.so.XXX to /usr/lib
	b) symlink instead
	c) relink portmap staticly
	d) run ldconfig early, then again late after all fs's are mounted.
	e) add a LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib" to the portmap
	   launch in /etc/rc
	f) ? You tell me!

a) and c) are sure-fire, but which is best?

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.