Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 08:22:59 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        keyser@clio.rice.edu (Kevin Keyser)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: frozen virtual terminals on Dell system

>I am having a problem with the virtual terminal system on a machine
>running FreeBSD 2.1.5R.  The hardware is:
[....]
>The install went smoothly and the system boots fine and recognizes all
>the hardware for which I have the kernel configured.  At some point
>(not coincident with any other event I can think of) the system stops
>responding to all keyboard input, just as if the keyboard had been
>unplugged.  I can still login across the network and everything else
>seems healthy.  I can echo something to /dev/ttyv0 and it shows up
>there, and I can kill the process at that terminal and init spawns a
>new getty just fine.

FreeBSD 2.1.X has an annoying habit of occasionally loosing keyboard
interrupts. In addition, the conflicting access to the keyboard
controller by the console driver and the PS/2 mouse driver is not
handled well.  All this leads to keyboard lock up or frozen mouse
movement.

However, the rest of the system is fine even if this happens, as you
have discovered.  When keyboard lock up occurs next time, login via
network and try the following command (you may need to be root to do
this). It may just work:

    kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0

If you try the above command while you are running X, the PS/2 mouse
may go wild on your screen after the keyboard is recovered. If that is
the case, try switching away from X to any vty and come back to X, and
your mouse should be OK.

One last comment:

>FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE #0: Thu Apr 24 14:57:27 CDT 1997
>    keyser@bluehen.shell.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUEHEN
>CPU: 166-MHz Pentium 735\\90 or 815\\100 (Pentium-class CPU)
>  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
>  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
>real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
>avail memory = 30789632 (30068K bytes)
>Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
>chip0 <Intel 82437 PCI cache memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0
>chip1 <Intel 82371 PCI-ISA bridge> rev 2 on pci0:7:0
>chip2 <Intel 82371 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 2 on pci0:7:1
>vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 67 int a irq 11 on pci0:16
>Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
>sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
>sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
>sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
>sio0: type 16550A
>sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
>sio1: type 16550A
>lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
>lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
>psm0: disabled, not probed.
When psm0 is enabled, is it recognized? If so you should see:

    psm0 at 0x60-0x63 irq 12 on motherboard

Kazu