Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:48:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, barry@Lustig.COM, owensc@enc.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP masquerading (for a LAN, _not_ PPP)

IMHO, the most useful way to implement ipfw is using divert
sockets.. because it makes it a completely independent module
that is easy to hack & develop from user mode. The disadvantage
of course is that it's somewhat slower than a kernel-only
implementation (we haven't found this to be a problem though).

Although we can't release our code that does this right now,
I'd be more than happy to "advise" anyone who is interested
in porting any of the existing address translation code to
use divert sockets... if it's written in a reasonably sane
fashion, it shouldn't be very hard in any case.

FWIW,
-Archie