Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:29:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcsi.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-PORTS-L <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, ylo@cs.hut.fi
Subject:   Re: Building SOCKS5 port, linking into ssh 1.2.14

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Douglas Ambrisko wrote:

> Okay, the big change from Socks 4 to 5 was the change of the
> libsocks.a to libsocks5.a and the proxy functions of R<name> to
> SOCKS<name>.

     Yep, replacing all the R*() calls with SOCKS*() calls (including
the one in the configure script) did the trick.  Outbound ssh now
works quite nicely through our firewall.  :)  The stupid thing is, I
remember seeing "SOCKSconnect()" when I was off chasing another
problem, and it didn't occur to me later that the fix would be this
simple.  :-/  Thanks, Doug.

    Tatu, perhaps ssh's configure script needs to be updated to use
--with-socks4 and --with-socks5?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.