Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 16:00:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org, guptar@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: vnodes (UFS journaling)?

"David E. Cross" wrote:
> Ok, we've noticed an "unfortunate" side-effect of our work. We leak data
> (part of the journal shows up in other files).  I think it is because
> of our handling of the vnode, and it being reused for other files (as
> oppsoed to trashing memory, etc.  The entries it writes in the files are
> valid).   We've tried _not_ calling vput(jvp) on it after the initial
> open but then any access to the file hangs the kernel (in inode).  How
> can we say "don't reuse this" but allow other people to access it?

Wow.  This is an incredibly opaque question.

The normal way you prevent reuse is "don't give it back to the
system in the first place, and it won't get given to someone
else *by* the system".

The normal way you make someone's reference to it "stale" is
"assign deadops to it".

Under no circumstances should you give it back to the system
while there are references to it at all.

What is it that you are trying to do with the vnode?

-- Terry