Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 23:25:00 GMT
From:      Daniel Barron <nettle@jadeb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After 170 days uptime, now reboots every few hours

In message <3CE6CFCA.889BEAF6@mrincubator.org>
          Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org> wrote:
[snip]

> Daniel Barron wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately the box is one of those mini-pcs, no bigger than a CD ROM
> > drive.  I can't just swap the PSU [power supply unit] from another
> > standard PC to check.  This is also the situation with the HD.
>
> Heat is the enemy of electronics. Check fans, air flow, and dirt/dust.
> Clean the unit and relocate it so that air flow is unrestricted. Replace
> any fans that may be getting sluggish -- fan bearings do wear out. If
> properly maintained, electronics can last indefinitely. Heat can easily
> cause CPUs and disk drives to malfunction. If caught early, there may not
> be any permanent damage, but if left unattended to, you may wind up having
> to replace parts.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've specifically made sure it had a clear air flow and ensured it was
free from dust.

Back to the original question; what tools exist on FBSD to diagnose where
the fault may lie (mb, hd, ram, cpu, etc)?

--
Daniel Barron
(Visit http://dansguardian.org/ - True web content filtering for all)