Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:29:58 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slashdot BSD section up and running

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 07:38:02PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > As many of you will have seen, Slashdot's BSD section is now up and running.
> > All I need now are submissions :-)
> >
> > I'll be scouring these lists for suitable material, but don't be afraid
> > to submit something directly.
>
> An idea I had is to post articles whenever -current gets a new cool
> feature, or when -stable gets something worthwhile back-ported, etc. The
> downside to this is a potential influx of "unwashed slashers" into
> -current when they're not ready for it, but OTOH it would raise the
> visibility of the feature evolution of FreeBSD (c.f. changelog excerpts
> from linux kernels-of-the-day), especially when it's something Linux
> doesn't have.

Excellent idea.  This is exactly the sort of thing that wouldn't normally
make the front page of /. -- of course, a few would: a technical paper
about Vinum, comparing it to the Linux equivalents is likely to, but the
vast majority would be better suited to the new BSD specific section.

And remember, this is not a FreeBSD only section.  That was the original
plan from Andover, but I convinced them (well, it only took one e-mail
message, so it wasn't too much convincing really) that it should cover all
the BSDs.

As I say, I'll be following the mailing lists as much as I can, but I don't
always get the time to follow some of the in-depth technical discussions on
-current, and this is where well written articles about particular new
technically exciting features of *BSD would be very welcome indeed.