Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 17:55:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        Daniel Imfeld <dimfeld@mciworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advantages of FreeBSD

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Daniel Imfeld wrote:

>I will soon be installing either FreeBSD or Linux on my computer.  What
>advantages does FreeBSD have over the Slackware distribution of Linux?

(specifically over _Slackware_ distribution): Slackware is a _major_pain_
to upgrade, FreeBSD has been _much_ better.  To go from a_out to elf on a
FreeBSD system, all I had to do was get updated sources, make sure I had
enough disk space, make aout-to-elf, add a few lines to the kernel config.
file and run disklabel -B to install new boot blocks.) Read the equivalent
document describing how to upgrade a Slackware distribution to elf to
appreciate the difference.  Linux development model is much more
de-centralized.  If you are new to Unix, FreeBSD will probably be a better
choice: things tend to be more "in one place" (www.freebsd.org), not "all
over the Web".  There are more commercial Linux applications out there,
but many of them run under FreeBSD with linux emulator.

If you do decide on Linux, I would strongly recommend against Slackware:
Debian is free, and has package management, making upgrades a lot easier.

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
PFM: Pray For Miracle