Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:03:57 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Jerry Bell <jerry@bellnetworks.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps, top, et. al problems with 4.0 stable

On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 11:03:53PM -0400, Jerry Bell wrote:
> Yes, both the kernel and userland stuff are from the same source tree
> compiled about 10 minutes apart (no mods to the source tree between making
> world and making the kernel)

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I've been tracking 4.0-stable
at about weekly intervals for a while, last build Saturday, and
top and ps don't seem to have stopped:

FreeBSD gurney.reilly.home 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Sat Apr 15 16:31:57 EST 2000     root@gurney.reilly.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GURNEY  i386

ll -t /usr/sup/src-all/:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4026723 Apr 15 03:37 checkouts.cvs:RELENG_4

One thought that's occurred to me is that perhaps you're using
odd flags in COPTFLAGS in /etc/make.conf?  I know that anything
more than -O -pipe is frowned on, but I've been using -Os -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer there for a while, with no ill effects.

Other switches that affect struct alignment (and I think that
there are some) could cause problems.

--
Andrew