Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:50:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

In message <200004070649.XAA39802@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> "Rodney W. Grimes" writes:
: I just had to go look to see if I could find some stats as the 10% number
: seemed wrong to me the first time.  From Freefall, what I would call a
: pretty good representation of hard core BSD users :-) we have the following
: stats:
:
: freefall:rgrimes {107} ypcat passwd | grep bin/csh | wc
:       44     163    2965
: freefall:rgrimes {108} ^cs^tcs
:      115     406    9409
:
: Ahhh... 44/115 != 0.10 == 0.38 or 38%.  David's statistic is off by a
: factor of 3.8 :-(

I don't know how many people do the same trick I do, but I have my
login shell default to csh and then do Ugly Magic[tm] in my .cshrc
file if I can find a tcsh to run instead.  This lets me login to
machines that don't have tcsh on them, but share yppasswd database
with others that do.

Warner