Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:02:06 -0700
From:      Steve Carlson <stevec@nbci.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FFS performance for large directories?

    Hello all... I'm trying to figure out at what point I can expect
performance issues with an FFS filesystem if I have directories with a
massive number of small files or symlinks.  As far as I understand it, there
are a number of inodes located within a cylinder group, and the inodes for
files are ideally placed in the same cylinder group as their parent
directory.  But if I were to have a massive number of small files or
symlinks in a directory, wouldn't I run out of local inodes and thus start
to see a performance issue when working in that directory?  How can I
determine the maximum number of files I should safely place in a directory
without my performance suffering?

    Thanks for any help you can offer,
    Steve

--