Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:41:57 -0400
From:      Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, mike.wentz@3ware.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com> wrote:
> Our Raid 5 array server that died durring rdisting of data
> recovered after removing the power for a moment ... It
> showed 2 failed drives however and rebuilding failed twice.

Er, can you have 2 failed drives in a working RAID-5 array?  Or am I
missing something here?

> This doesn't help Nicole, but I can say that I have seen
> (two) intermittent power-up lockups with an Escalade 6200
> -- lockups that an hard reset will not help.  I have to do
> a full power cycle (but the raid 1 array is fine).

I recently bought a 3Ware 6200.  Before I did anything, I updated my
firmware (with the late June release) and then created the RAID-0 array
(two Maxtor 80GB drives).  0 problems so far at just under 2 months, I
hope I continue to have none either.

I'm now looking to buy a 4-channel and 8-channel card.  I am on various
lists (XFS, Linux, NFS, etc...) where people have had issues with 3Ware
6000-series cards with RAID-5 volumes, but no one is having issues with
RAID-0, 1 or 0+1 (aka 10).  Plus the RAID-5 write performance on the
6000-series is not optimal (although the 7000-series is supposed to
change that).  So I think I'm going to stick with RAID-0+1 for these
drives, even if it means losing a 80-240GB in effective disk space
verses RAID-5 (160GB instead of 240GB on the 4-channel, and 320GB
instead of 560GB on the 8-channel).

Any comments?  I know this is a FreeBSD list, but I want to hear if
anyone has any comments on this.

-- TheBS

P.S.  My target platform is Linux -- specifically RedHat 7.1 + SGI's XFS
1.0.1 filesystem.  I have been running XFS for over 6 months now without
an error.  I cannot consider any other JFS because I have NFS clients
(and ReiserFS and JFS continue to have kNFSd issues), and I really want
the ACL support of XFS for Samba/Windows as well (which rules out Ext3,
which I love on kernel 2.2, but don't trust on kernel 2.4 yet).

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  Absolute Value Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org