Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:03:24 +0100
From:      Hauke Fath <hf@Melog.DE>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Hauke Fath <hf@Melog.DE>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filemarks?

At 08:43 16.12.99 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
> > Matt,
> >
> > in what way exactly would this affect userland tools?
> > (Tandberg SLR4/5, NetBSD here.)
>(                   ^^^^^^ ?? Note that this is a FreeBSD list and

I know.

>(comments made are with respect to the FreeBSD tape driver. Very little
>(testing has been done with the same h/w under NetBSD)

Sure. NetBSD currently lines up all known QIC drives in st.c's quirk table,
most of them only to specify the blocksize. And it doesn't deal at all with
the [12]FM@EOD issue.

But the question whether to write one or two filemarks at EOD and how to
deal with drives that do not like that (QIC) is neither driver- nor
platform specific.

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg