Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:51:23 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: sysbench / fileio - Linux vs. FreeBSD

--kl6COkrTq67Sn9pw

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 07:41:23PM +0200, Attilio Rao wrote:
> 2010/6/5 Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
> >
> > All of these tests have been apples vs. oranges for years.
> >
> > The following seems to be true, though:
> >
> > a) FreeBSD sequential write performance in UFS has always been less tha=
n optimal.

> > b) Linux sequential write performance in just about any filesystem has =
always been "impressive". But that "impressive" has come at some not so obv=
ious costs. First of all, Linux is probably the most aggressive cluster/wri=
te-behind OS I've even seen. You can suck down all available memory with wr=
itebehind using dd. This means that some stats are "impressive", and others=
 are "painful". A desktop that becomes completely unresponsive while you're=
 doing this dd is one personal outcome.

> > Also, you have to be careful what you're asking for in comparing the tw=
o platforms, or any platforms for that matter. What do you want to optimize=
 for? Apparent responsiveness as a desktop? A specific workload (nfs, cifs)=
 that completes N quatloos per fortnight?
>=20
> Besides anything, I'm much more concerned about the loss of
> performance within FreeBSD itself. I wouldn't expect a so high
> pessimization when the number of threads increases (without
> considering the big performance loss with the 8k blocksize, pretty
> much reproducible). I'm trying to drive, privately, the tester to
> pmc/lock profiling analysis in order to start collecting some useful
> datas.
Are the benchmarks create threads that write to the same file ?
If yes, then this behaviour is well understood.