Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:36:42 -0600
From:      ajm <ajm91qw@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portversion vs. pkg_version

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 11:21:54PM +0800, Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2006, RW wrote:
> > Personally, I don't like to get version information from the INDEX
> > file, I'd rather get an accurate answer, than a fast one. Another
> > reason I don't like portversion is that it's forever asking me to run
> > pkgdb. Aside from being a pain, it makes portversion unsuitable for use
> > in scripts.
>
>   You are right. INDEX file will not allways up to date.
>

> 	Edward

I have used both pkg_version and portversion.  I perfer pkg_version.
I use it in the following way:

portsnap fetch && portsnap update
pkg_version -voIL'='

portsnap creates an index file faster than pkgdb...if you use it often.
I like to portsnap once a week.

otherwise use the pkg_verison without the 'I'

--
Alexander
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE i386