Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:37:35 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        horikawa@jp.freebsd.org
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doc/ will not freeze

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 01:47:53AM +0900, horikawa@jp.freebsd.org wrote:
> The Following is my personal opinion.  I know mainly about
> doc/ja_JP.eucJP/man and I know little about handbook and FAQ.  (I am a
> Japanese translator who make diffs to doc/ja_JP.eucJP/man and ask
> Mr. Kuriyama to apply the diffs)
>
> Before RELEASEs were released, some approved commits were made while
> src/ tree had been frozen.  These approved commits sometimes included
> manual pages updates.
>
> Before RELEASE, I want to update translated manual pages when original
> manual pages is updated while src/ is frozen.  This is because it is
> important to keep original manual pages and translated ones in sync
> when RELEASE is made.
>
> If commits approved by you (and/or nominated persons from each
> translation team) are allowed, I do not mind doc/ tree freeze before
> RELEASE.

My other message from a day or so ago should have made this clear, but
just to be explicit -- I think that content changes (for example,
translating changes in a manual page from English to Japanese) are
fine, and should continue as normal.  However, please be particularly
careful to ensure that you don't accidentally commit something that
breaks the build because of bad formatting.

Changes to the build infrastructure should go through me first, and we
might hold off on them until 3.3 is out the door.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>