Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 05:58:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weirdness in building -CURRENT today

I think today is going to be "one of those days"....  :-(

The first hint was after I built today's -STABLE, I then fired up a
"cvs update" against my -CURRENT sources, and got:

Script started on Wed Jan 30 05:12:16 2002
freebeast(4.5-STA)[1] cd /S4/usr/src && cvs update^M
cvs update: Updating .
cvs update: Updating bin
cvs update: Updating bin/cat
U etc/printcap
U etc/profile
U etc/protocols
cvs [update aborted]: could not find desired version 1.294 in /cvs/freebsd/src/e
tc/rc,v
freebeast(4.5-STA)[2]

I looked around at the results from "cvs log etc/rc" and 1.293 was the
last revision I could see, so I don't know why it was trying to find
1.294.

I tried removing src/etc/rc & re-starting the "cvs update", and the
process then seemed to go to completion without further incident.

I then re-booted the machine to run (yesterday's) -CURRENT, and started
the build process... which died rather soon.  Doing it again without -j8
showed:

>>> stage 2: cleaning up the object tree
===> lib/libc
"/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 184: Inconsistent operator for libc.a
"/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 192: Inconsistent operator for libc_p.a
"/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 224: Inconsistent operator for libc_pic.a
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Ummm...  OK; this doesn't look especially good.  bsd.lib.mk hasn't been
modified since 04 December, at revision 1.100 (bde).

I think I could use a bit of guidance at this point.

Thanks,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.