Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:46:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache, Vhost, and Jail

Hey all. I have a Jail setup that I would like apache (running in the host
environment) to serve pages for. I have names setup as:

jail.mydomain.org
host.mydomain.org

Apache right now serves pages for host.mydomain.org fine, but when I went
to try and setup namebased vhost, all the documentations I've read refers
to instances such as:

www.foo.bar.com
www.bar.com

Can apache's namebased vhost do it by host only? If it can, then I can set
the documentroot to jail/usr/local/www/. But I haven't been successful,
so far I have this in my httpd.conf:

NameVirtualHost *

# Host
<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www
  ServerName host.mydomain.org
</VirtualHost>

# Jail
<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
  DocumentRoot /jail/usr/local/www
  ServerName jail.mydomain.org
</VirtualHost>

Of course, I have the public IP in place of 123.123.123.123, and
resolvable domains for both jail and host on the internet. But when I try
going to http://host.mydomain.org, I get the jail's homepage?! Anywhere I
go using host.mydomain.org, it ends up in the jail document path. Have I
missed something? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.