Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:32:34 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alterations to vops

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:29:26PM +0200, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> > Can you elaborate on the problem you are describing?  I'm not sure
> > I understand besideds certain processes being able to hog the
> > buffercache and filesystems.
>
> The problem lies, as I understand it (ask Feldman for details) in that a
> find(1) or similar process will cause a lot of work to be done in kernel
> space, which means the scheduler is not going to clamp down on it. Also,
> it apparently hogs buffercache and I/O bandwidth. Changing these VOPs to
> be incremental would solve the problem.

My systems get to the point of unusability when find(1) or cvsup(1) are
running. These things should be getting scheduled way back, but when
I hit 'i' in vi, it can take 30 seconds for it to switch to insert mode.

These are not wimpy machines either.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect / Computer Horizons Corp - CHIMES
e-mail: billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org