Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:53:38 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Dr Sarbjit Singh <sarbjit1@vsnl.in>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: running C++ under BSD]

> Can we run C++ in client server environment?

This question doesn't make any sense.  Please rephrase it.

> Can we do shell programming as it is in UNIX?

Yes.

> Can we develop system level features of C or C++.

Sure.  If you plan on adding to the operating system kernel, you'll
probably have to use C, though, unless you know a lot more than I do.
The source code for the entire operating system is included.  Mess
with it as much as you like.

> Can we run BSD on server with 10-15 users using TURBO C++ or
> Boroland C++?

Do you mean you want people to run Borland C++ products (1) on Windows
machines connected to a FreeBSD server or (2) on the FreeBSD machine
itself?  These are different questions.

(1) is fine.  Your Windows machines don't care what kind of server
they're connected to.  Go about your business as usual.

(2) is silly.  Borland makes Windows products to write Windows
programs.  If that's what you want to do, do it on Windows, not
FreeBSD.  If they ever port CBuilder to, say, Linux, the story may be
different.

If you /really/ can't stomach programming in C++ without pointing and
clicking in some kind of GUI, there are ways to do this on FreeBSD.

> Do we have vi editor in BSD, similar to the one availble  under
> UNIX?

Yes.

> If we are to programme in C++, can we use Microsoft C++ ?

See answer above for Borland products.

Lucas