Date:      Sat, 19 May 2007 00:32:15 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TERM type.

lewiz writes:

>  I use aterm under X and I need TERM to be xterm-color but from the
>console I need to have cons50.  Is there any way to do this?

Just a hint: you could check in your shell's startup script if TERM
is set to xterm (like xterm sets it) and then set it to xterm-color
instead, if you require this.  On the console, it is normally set
to cons25 via /etc/ttys, which suffices (programs normally don't
get the tty screen dimensions from termcap/terminfo entries so there
is no practical difference between cons25 and cons50.)

--mkb