Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:41:39 -0400
From:      <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [2.1R] ppp -auto works only after a non-auto connection terminated

I couldn't find this in the mailing list archives.

I can connect via ppp directly no problem; after closing that
connection, ppp -auto then works.

However, if I try to run ppp -auto before making and breaking that
first connection, I get "host is down" or "unavailable" messages, and
no attempted dialup. My provider gives me dynamic IP.

To connect, I'm using:

  ppp interactive

and

  ppp -auto ondemand

with excerpts from pertinent files follow.

Any help is greatly appreciated ...

-jay

### /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:
default:
 set device /dev/cuaa0
 set speed 38400
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\
\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

interactive:
  set phone 3012220
  set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: xxxxxxxx word: xxxxxxxx"
  set timeout 1800

ondemand:
  load interactive
  set ifaddr  0 208.192.224.5
  add 0 255.255.255.0 208.192.224.5

### /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

ondemand:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR
#
# Otherwide, simply add peer as default gateway.
#
MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

### /etc/sysconfig