Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:36:33 +0100
From:      Jason Williams <jason@compsoc.man.ac.uk>
To:        Eric Walters <ewalters@nms2001.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUNRPC on port 111

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 08:58:32AM -0500, Eric Walters wrote:
> I ran a port scan on my newly configured freebsd system and I have a port
> 111 (SUNRPC) listed.  Can anyone tell me what this is and if I can shut it
> off.  I am trying to make this system as secure as possible.
That's the RPC portmapper... it gets used, for example, for NIS and NFS,
among other things.

Use "rpcinfo -p" to see what (if any) rpc services are currently being
used.

--
"Now that's an idea. Spearmint flavored rye bread. Mmm. Hey, I just said it
 was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea. " -- Larry Wall