Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:22:58 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Mike Blend <admin@treasure.yi.org>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW/NATD Scenario

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

* Mike Blend <admin@treasure.yi.org> [20010322 21:40]: writing on the subje=
ct 'IPFW/NATD Scenario'
Mike> I'm new to both FreeBSD and NAT, so please bear with me.
Mike>=20
Mike> With the help of a net-friend I have successfully setup a FreeBSD 4.2
Mike> machine with 2 NICS, one for an internal connection and one for an ex=
ternal
Mike> connection. The machine is acting as a firewall/gateway for the inter=
nal
Mike> network.  It all appears to be functioning properly at this point.
Mike>=20
Mike> Here's what I want to do, and how I understand how it needs to be don=
e :
Mike>=20
Mike> I have a Win2000 server hosting mail and web for 4 domains.  That mac=
hine
Mike> has 4 internet IP addresses assigned to its external NIC.  Each one o=
f those
Mike> ip addresses is for one domain. The web and mail servers for each dom=
ain
Mike> point to one of those ips.
Mike>=20
Mike> What I want to do (I think) is replace the external ips on the win200=
0 box
Mike> with internal ips=8510.0.0.x - and I want to have my new FreeBSD box =
accept
Mike> the incoming traffic to my 4 external ips and route that traffic to t=
he
Mike> correct internal ip on the win2000 server=85.using one-to-one NAT if I
Mike> understand correctly.  At that point I will be able to control the tr=
affic
Mike> to the web/mail server by allowing only those ports and services that=
Mike> need.
Mike>=20
Mike> I want to make sure that I've got the right idea, and if so, could so=
meone
Mike> please explain to me (or direct me to documentation) how to assign th=
ose 4
Mike> additional external ip addresses to the external NIC in my FreeBSD bo=
x?

in /etc/rc.conf

ifconfig_fxp0=3D"inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 5.6.7.8"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0=3D"inet 2.3.4.5 netmask 6.7.8.9"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias1=3D"inet 3.4.5.6  netmask 7.8.9.10"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0=3D"inet 4.5.6.7 netmask 8.9.10.11"

The concept of _alias is what is used. Subst your device name for fxp0.

I think it will work, depending on how you set the fwd rules. I've not
tested ipfw but I've seen the discussions.

I am not in the list so cc me if necessary.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Anti-trust laws should be approached with exactly that attitude.=20

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--