Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 02:47:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multiple solutions for a problem (Re: How to map bad sectors on IDE?)

On 31 Jan 2003, at 19:43 [=GMT-0500], Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org> writes:
>
> > I have searched Google to find a solution to mark off these two
> > blocks/inodes (or however I should call them), so that they will not
> > be used anymore. All I found is that this is not possible on
> > IDE. Advise: Throw away the disk. Now this I find a bit radical :-)
> > Esp. since the disk is about 3 years old.
>
> Why is it radical?

Because it involves a lot of work to backup the disk, open up the
machine, check it with some software that reports something that I
could tell Maxtor, have them give me another disk (if they do that).
Wait, wait, wait. And all this time machine not working obviously,
which is extra bad since it is the key machine here that connects
others to the internet.

All in all I would say 10 hours work, a few weeks of waiting.

So why not first try something (if it exists, which was my question)
that does not involve picking up a screwdriver and turning of my
network here? Or lets say I am poor (which I am) and cannot really
just run off and buy a new disk? The one with problems may be under
warrenty, it may not. I cannot tell before I take the machine apart
and read the serial on the disk.

Your advise sounds perfectly sound for IBM and Microsoft and the
Pentagon. But for a home or small office situation, there might be
another way to deal with it?

Especially since we are not talking about something 10 years old or
heavily used in a mailserver.