Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:06:46 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: qpopper

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:20:25AM -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:
> Bill Moran (wmoran@mail.iowna.com) wrote:
>
> > I would assume that Pegasus is keeping track of message ID, and when it
> > contacts the pop server only downloads message IDs that it doesn't
> > already have. Outlook doesn't appear to be this intelligent (with
> > reference to POP anyway)
>
> I can pretty much guarantee that Outlook normally checks message IDs,
> and will not download old messages from a POP server.
>
> I know Microsoft makes some nasty software, but come on! They're not
> *that* stupid.

Outlook *does* keep track nicely of read and unread mail.  I know it because
in the company I work for there are people that use Outlook with 'leave
messages on server' enabled.  The thing seems to work nicely, and their
Mailboxes are in their HOME directories, where qpopper has the ability to
read/write/delete or mess around with their Mailbox files in any manner it
sees fit.

I don't think this is an Outlook problem, but it definitely makes sense to
assume that it's a permissions problem that is stoppig qpopper from modifying
the Mailbox file in some manner.

- giorgos