Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:02:32 -0500
From:      Jeremy Hopkins <jhopkins@rtci.com>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: httpd could not be started

Nader Turki wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just upgraded from FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.
> I can't start apache anymore. something is wrong and i hope you guys can
> help me.
>
> [root@shadow]:/usr/home/dark# /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl
> Syntax error on line 54 of /usr/local/etc/apache/apache.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so into server:
> /usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so: Undefined symbol
> "sk_X509_NAME_value"
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

I ran into the same problem yesterday as well.  What you need to do is
recompile mod_ssl.  I simple did a make from
/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl and then
copy
/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.14/src/modules/ssl/libssl.so
over your existing libssl.so located at
/usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so

In the meantime you can probably start apache without ssl support with
an apachectl start, but that somewhat depends on your configuration.
You should be back up shortly.  Have fun!

jeremy
Jeremy Hopkins		- Systems Administrator - RTCI  - Cary, NC
www.rtci.com  		- jhopkins@rtci.com
www.ghettoweb.net 	- jhopkins@ghettoweb.net
FreeBSD -- Makes the net go round.