Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:40:20 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, plm@xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: Fast 16550A compatible serial card??

>As cheap alternative to a Hayes ESP someone recommended me a serial
>card called T9000+. It contains a 16550A compatible, yet runs at
>max. speed of 460k8.
>
>Is this possible? And is it possible under FreeBSD?

16550A's are specified to work up to 1.5Mbps.  Supporting 460.8Kbps
properly would require a few changes (it might work modulo some
buffer overflows at 460.8Kbps when the software thinks the speed is
115.2Kbps).  Expect an ISA bus overhead of 15-20% per port at 46080
cps bidirectional saturated (corresponding to 4-5% at 11520 cps).
At 150000 cps, the ISA bus overhead would be 50-65% per port (too
large for normal operation) and the fifo trigger level would certainly
have to be reduced to avoid silo overflows, and you would need a fast
cpu faster than a 486 just to complete the i/o processing in the
remaining 50-35% of the time.

Bruce