Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:21:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH: if_de.c #ifdef based version encoding

>    In theory, the de driver is maintained by Matt Thomas and he supports
> multiple OS's and OS versions in the code. You'll notice that there are
> #ifdef's for NetBSD and BSD/OS in there as well. If we were going to do
> as you suggest, then it would only make sense if all of the OS #ifdef's
> were removed. This will only make it more difficult for Matt to support
> FreeBSD, so I think it's a bad idea.

Is it at least possible to pick a symbol dependent on the version
of the OS being compiled instead of the OS that the compiler doing
the compiling was compiled on?

Alternately, is it possible to modify the __FreeBSD__ symbol so that
it gets the right value, perhaps overridable via sysctl or an
environment variable so that you can build the next generation of
FreeBSD kernels on the previous generation of the OS, and not need
to rebuild tools with the only difference being the version number?

Otherwise it's 6 more builds of GCC to be able to do one build of
the kernel... and of course, you have to build the kernel for the new
rev before doing the 3 builds of GCC that will have the new rev
statically defined instead of the old rev.

					Thanks,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---