Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2007 18:13:11 -0400
From:      "Andrey Shuvikov" <mr.hyro@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GRUB / boot easy problems w / USB stick

On 6/2/07, Fred Davidson <fredbsdavidson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some help to enable booting from a
> USB      stick.  After weeks of reading, and
> attempting I am at a total loss.  This all began while
> I was trying to follow the many excellent tutorials on
> encrypting whole laptop disks with GELI[1].  These
> tutorials were great except they didn't really cover
> how to make the sticks bootable.  Here is some of the
> many things I have tried.
>
> Background: My laptop BIOS allows me to pick the boot
> order from 7 devices, I set them as follows:
>
> (1) USB Key (2) USB HDD (3) USB CDROM (4) USB FDC
> (5) IDE CD  (6) IDE HDD (7) PCI BEV
>
> Attempt 1: FreeBSD Boot Manager
>
> # created a dedicated slice on my 512MB stick with a
> #UFS2 filesystem.
>
> (after fdisk)
> bsdlabel -Brw /dev/da0s1
> newfs /dev/da0s1
>
> # Copied over boot files to usb filesystem.
>
> mount /dev/da0s1 /usb
> mkdir /usb/boot
> cd /boot
> cp -Rpv * /usb/boot
>
> # Placed FreeBSD boot manager on MBR of USB stick.
>
> boot0cfg -B -s 1 -t -v 182 /dev/da0
>
> Problem:  When I reboot the laptop keyboard won't
> allow me to select a partition with the F keys.
>

> Attempt 2: GRUB
>
> # make install grub from the ports collection.  copy
> #over the files from
> #/usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd/* to /boot/grub.
>  #My understanding was that Grub can read write UFS2
> #because of patches since version 0.94.  So on my
> first #attempt I made a single UFS2 partition.
>
> mount /dev/da0s1 /usb
> mkdir -p /usb/boot/grub
> cd /boot
> cp -Rpv * /usb/boot
> cd /boot/grub
> cp -Rpv * /usb/boot/grub
>

> #I invoke the grub shell.  There are two devices in my
> #device map:
>
> (hd0) /dev/ad0
> (hd1) /dev/da0
>
> # Now if I try to set root in the following ways I'll
> #get the following:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0,a)
>
> Filesystem type is ufs2, partition type 0xa5
>
> grub> root (hd1,0)
>
> Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0xa5
>
> # now before you say it, I also tried (hd1,0,a) but
> #this is even worse in some situations. Basically I
> #can't get grub to read or write to the USB stick with
> #a UFS2 filesystem.  Yet it will read write to the
> #UFS2 filesystem of the native disk.  Does anyone know
> #why? I have tried grub-install which apparently is
> #successful, but once I attempt to reboot, it hangs
> #with the word, "GRUB" printed.
>
> Attempt 3: Chainloading GRUB
>
> #This time I though I had it.  I created S1 FAT
> #partition and S2 UFS2 partition on the stick.  I
> # was able to use setup from the grub shell to setup
> #the FAT slice as the location for stage2.  On the
> #ufs2 partition I set up the proper /boot setup above.
> #I read on an old post and someone mentioned that
> [...]

Some thoughts:

1.  bsdlabel -Brw /dev/da0s1
     - What is the option "r"?
     - bsdlabel is supposed to create standard label which probably
means creating da0s1a partition (can you call "bsdlabel /dev/da0s1" to
see what was created?) So your next command should be "newfs
/dev/da0s1a" rather than "newfs /dev/da0s1". And commands after that
will need to be adjusted as well.

2. boot0cfg -B -s 1 -t -v 182 /dev/da0
    It should be "-v -t 182" rather than "-t -v 182". Not sure if it
matters though.

Hope this helps.
Andrey