Date:      Tue,  4 Jan 2000 09:33:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 & splimp

Chuck Robey writes:
 > I better amend this with reality, hadn't I?  The ethernet card's a CNet
 > Pro100, uses the ax0 device.  I still get that "link_elf: symbol splimp
 > undefined" error during boot, and the CNet card's not recognized.  The
 > previous 11/15/99 kernel used no modules (kldstat says so), and I added
 > nothing new to the config, just changed one "disk" to device, and took out

Chuck,

The if_ax driver disappeared between Nov 15 & now (in favor of if_dc).
So if_ax was built into the 11/15 GENERIC kernel but it is not built
into today's GENERIC kernel.  When you do an 'ifconfig ax0 foo'
ifconfig will kldload /modules/if_ax.ko.  This module will be from the
last time you built world.  Among other things, splimp() is now an
in-line function so there is no way for the kld loader to resolve
splimp() because there is no splimp symbol in the kernel.

You should be using dc0 instead.

Cheers,

Drew