Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 21:35:11 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blackout - fsck - cleared files

In the last episode (May 11), Edwin Groothuis said:
> Last night it was suddenly very dark in the neighbourhood here.
> Luckely the electricity came back within the hour, but still, my
> computer didn't like me anymore. It boots without problem, but fsck
> gave me a lot of lines like:
>
> <118> I=1119059  OWNER=edwin MODE=100600
> <118>/dev/ad0s1f: SIZE=443 MTIME=May 10 23:44 2002  (CLEARED)
> <118>/dev/ad0s1f:
> <118>UNREF FILE
>
> The cleared message, does it mean the directory entrance for this
> file is cleared or that some dirty-flag is cleared?

The UNREF FILE message means there is a valid inode but there are no
directory entries pointing to it.  If you're running softupdates you
may see many of these messages after a crash/reboot, since cleaning out
unreferenced inodes is delayed due to how SU works.  In -CURRENT, this
fsck pass would have been run in the background after the system had
booted.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com