Date:               Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:39:04 -0500
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        Lars Koeller <lars.koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: Problems with cpufunc.h

> Date sent:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:41:11 +0200
> From:           Lars Koeller <lars.koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
> To:             freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
> Subject:        Problems with cpufunc.h

>    Hello!
>
>       I try to compile a library witch communicates with my B008 transputer
>    board via inpb/outpb  statements. I know  of the device driver but there
>    occured  some  problems also!  With  1.1.5.1   all  runs  well with  the
>    includefile pio.h! Now I  change to cpufunc.h  but  there occured a  gcc
>    error:
>
> /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h: In function `inbc':
> /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h:125: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
> /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h: In function `outbc':
> /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h:132: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
>
>    Any suggestions?
>
>    Thanks
>
>    Lars

I've run into this too.  It appears as though you can only use the asm
directive (inb is actually define of __asm ("inb %1,%0...)) if you specify
a constant address...Rather annoying.
Further more even if you do specify a constant address, I keep getting Bus
Error, Core dumped from my program (running as root) whenever the i/o
instruction is executed.

Something has changed.  In the kernel source, there appears to be
incomplete support for a /dev/io device which will allow you to read/write
the io ports the same way you would access /dev/mem, except that it is not
compiled in unless 'notyet' is defined.

Any one on the "team" care to comment on how to write a program using
in/out instructions (I started working on a TMC driver but ran into this
problem).  Or, does -current or -stable now incorporate a functional
/dev/io?

Thanks!

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com