Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 06:39:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about atapi cdrom behavior (BTC 24X)

Say I do something like

	find /cdrom

is the HD light supposed to be blinking as if the hard drives are being
accessed?  I did the above command (note that it doesn't involve finding
files on the hard drives at all), and basically the HD light and the cdrom
activity light were flashing together.

I have a BTC 24X ATAPI cdrom drive.  I'd like to check to see if anyone
on this list has one of these, and if so, have you had any problems?  For
example, if I do

	dd if=/dev/racd0c of=cd.img

the file cd.img is zero-length, dd hangs (ignores ^C totally), and I get
messages like

acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done

Even if I do killall -9 dd, dd refuses to die.  I haven't yet tried this
with the old wd driver (I probably should), but I will if I'm requested.

Anyone else have a BTC 24X or similar ATAPI drive?  Thanks.  Here's my
dmesg, BTW:

ad0: 3093MB <FUJITSU MPB3032ATU> [6704/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
ad1: 1040MB <M1614TA> [2114/16/63] at ata0-slave using WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <BCD-24X 1997-06-27> at ata1-master using WDMA2

- Donn