Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:51:24 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Eric Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 4.10-p3 to 5.3-BETA7

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:26:47AM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've tried in the past to complete an upgrade from 4.x to 5.x with
> little luck.  Most people I've talked to indicate the only way to
> accomplish this is to do a complete reinstall.  I was wondering if
> anyone now has been able to do this.  I have one system that does all
> my server operations, and I can't afford to take it completely offline
> for a rebuild.
>
> Any documents or information you might have would be helpful.

You may want to wait until the release of 5.3 if its a production
server. Afther this time you can do a normal cvsup & buildworld
procedure. Make sure you follow this to the letter!!! You can find
information about all this in the handbook. www.freebsd.org/handbook

Reinstalling FreeBSD 5 is saver and you'll end up with more features.
There is a option to do a background fsck check that you migth miss
because of this.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/