Date:      Sat, 15 May 2004 01:51:40 -0400
From:      "Matt \"Cyber Dog\" LaPlante" <webmaster@cyberdogtech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

I've inherited a FreeBSD 4.7 server as part of a system administration =
job.
=A0Recently I noticed that the syslog files had stopped collecting data. =
=A0This
includes /var/log/messages and /var/log/console among others. =A0Up =
until some
time last week, they'd been full of data, but after some unknown event, =
all
data collection stopped. =A0I did not build/configure the system, nor am =
very fluent in the ways of BSD, so I do not know where else to begin =
looking
for answers. =A0I ran the newsyslog program to regenerate all the log =
files.
=A0It created them, with the single line stating a new log file was =
created,
but aside from that one line they remain empty. =A0I tried manually =
restarting
syslogd, as well as rebooting the whole machine, neither of which have =
had
any effect. =A0I have not manually altered any syslog configuration =
info, and
I basically have no idea what to try next. =A0I'm a relative noob when =
it
comes to FreeBSD, so I'd appreciate answers in a simple format.  Thanks =
in
advance...

-
Matt