Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:08:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "J. B." <jbr@idiom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tape/ipdivert interaction

Somewhere in the sequence of adding the berkeley packet filter,
the IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT options to the kernel, my scsi tape drive
became unuseable for reading tapes.  Whatever command I use to read
the tape returns with an I/O error and never reads anything.

Shutdown-powerdown-reboot doesn't fix the problem.

Reverting to an older kernel without these features, the tape becomes
useable again.

It's the 2.2.6-RELEASE kernel, and an Exabyte 8200 on an Adaptec 2940.
FreeBSD jbr.idiom.com 2.2.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Sun Oct 25 14:57:23 PST 1998     root@jbr.idiom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/kall6  i386
is the prior working kernel, same sources.

This seems a little too vague to report as a bug.  Or should I just send
this sort of thing in as a bug in GNATS or send-pr?

Has anyone else reported this?

Should I go about tracking down exactly which kernel option is
causing the problem?  It's enough nuisance work, kernel rebuilds and
reboots, that I'd just as soon avoid it if someone else is on it already.

I looked through the GNATS database and couldn't find anything, but
that doesn't say that it isn't already reported.

Thanks for listening!

        J.