Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:25:09 +0000
From:      Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Jay <jay@meangrape.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: maybe slightly OT - web content management kits

Jay wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:56:01PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
>>On 02/09/05 04:07 PM, Chris Shenton sat at the `puter and typed:
>>
>>>Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net> writes:
>>
>>Hmm.  Plone didn't exactly rise to the top at opensourcecms.org, but
>>since you saw fit to plug it, I'll give it a chance.
>
> Plone is very, very nice.
>

>>I'm not familiar with Zope at all.  Isn't it an Apache *alternative*?
>
> Yes and no.  Zope serves up all of its content.  It's quite common to
> run Apache in front of it, though -- that way you can use all of your
> Apache modules.
>
> Since a Zope site is totally dynamic, it usually makes sense to run some
> kind of caching server in front of it.  Some people use Apache because
> that's what they're familiar with/have installed/etc, etc.  If you're
> not going to use any of Apache's features, squid is generally better for
> that.
>
> If you're interested, send me an email off-list, and I'll make you an
> account on my Plone site so you can dink around and see what it's like.

I am in the process of looking at zope for a base to a couple of
websites I will be creating.  One of the sites will be providing
services to around 500+ users.  Being quite unfamiliar of the
development side of zope (I have used plone as a user but that is about
it) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what is the best way to go
about hosting something like that.  Is virtual/co-/dedicated hosting the
way to go?  Is one server enough?  I have looked into a package called
zeo as well that provides a horizontally scalable solution for zope so I
am hoping to be able to add servers as required should the load increase.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
Chris