Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 20:46:57 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        mremski@ellacoya.com
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPP & named oddity

Sorry for the delay - I've had no connectivity over the weekend...

I think you need to add some bits to your ppp config to find out
what's going on.  I'd suggest:

ppp.linkup:

  MYADDR:
    set log -dns -tcp/ip

ppp.linkdown:

  MYADDR:
    set log +dns +tcp/ip

The idea is to enable tcp/ip and DNS logging while the link is down
and disable it when the link comes up (it's mostly useless then).

When ppp gets into the state where it's not bringing the link up, you
should be able to look in ppp.linkup and either see that packets are
being blocked or that packets are not being seen.

Alternatively, you could be seeing ppp failing to connect to your
ISP, blocking up with packets and waiting for the choked timer to
kick in (default of 2 minutes) and drop the queue in the bit-bucket.
If this is the case, you can do something like ``set choked 20'' to
bring that timeout down to a value that'll make ppp more persistent
in trying to connect.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>