Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:32:09 +0100
From:      "Christopher Raven" <gurab@lineone.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

It has been commented that over selling FreeBSD could be counter
productive by stereotyping its users. Quite possibly, but not pushing
at all could be just as devestating if not more so, if Linux consumes
the market who will support FreeBSD?

Look at the Apple Mac - the supposedly independant platform, and now
part owned by its biggest rival. How? because Microsoft cornered the
software market and squeezed Apple over. If Linux corners all the
commercial support, who will use FreeBSD? Even though it is a superior
platform it could well end up largely unsupported.

What I am trying to say here is FreeBSD *MUST* be pushed or it will
lose out to Linux period, and I don't think the Linux community will
buy into FreeBSD to help it.

P.S. - why doesn't the FreeBSD team (or others) send FreeBSD
information to the broadcasting / publishing guys to promote another
such article (as per Linux) but about FreeBSD. I am sure that the BBC
could be grabbed - its a start isnt it? Even send me the info and I
can pester the UK media for you.

Chris R.

[sorrry for the wasted bandwidth but I felt it had to be said.]

>On Thu,  9 April 1998 at 23:19:58 -0400, Open Systems Networking
wrote:
>> I think we SERIOUSLY need a PR plan of some kind. I think also we
can take
>> the gloves off and start kicking heads without getting nasty about
it. We
>> have several FACTUAL resources that they just CANT compete with.
>
>Does anybody out there care?  What I see is that they will get the
>impression "these free UNIXes attract a strange, aggressive kind of
>person, each saying \"My UNIX is better than your UNIX\"".
>
>>> guys hasn't appeared to have won us anything but lots of nice
comments
>>> from folks like Marc A. at netscape to the effect that "Linux is
the