Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:29:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        zerohero@dreadnaught.net (zerohero)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Freebsd Questions)
Subject:   Re: Graphical Problems with X

> Sorry, this is the third time i've submitted this message but I still
> haven't gotten any successful help (but thanks to the three who tried).

	Okay, for one, it sounds like don't have your horizontal and
   vetical refresh rates set up correctly, and X is taking the most
   conservative approach it knows to do.

	Now that you have a XF86Config file, I would suggest you work
   with that, and not run any more configuration/installation scripts.

	Find your monitors vertical and horizontal refresh rates in
   your monitor manual (or monitor manufacturers web site) and enter
   the range like so:

        HorizSync    30-121.0
        VertRefresh  50-150

   Depending on the version of X you have, the directives might be
   different, so check the man page for XF86Config.

> 					I should also add that my mouse
> doesn't work when I use the graphical installer (but i did get the mouse
> daemon to work.  i have a cheap crap logitech two-button, but i really don't
> like to use the mouse that much anyways except in games and on web sites).

	Try something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "MouseSystems"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "TRUE"
EndSection

	You also need to change your rc.conf files to use the above
   directives correctly. I believe the XF86Config man page talks about
   the changes needed.

> card, a Guillemot 3D Prophet SDR (nVidia Geforce chip), manually as best I
> could.  I selected the XF86_SVGA server, ignored the chipset, and specified
> that I had 32768 kb of RAM.

	Well, you should not need to config the memory size. What
   info do you have in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

	Umm, you have verified that _your_ version of X will support the
   nVidia GeForce chipset, right? Just because the X web site says they
   support the chipset doesn't mean your version supports it...

> 			      I configured my monitor correctly based on the
> manual, so this shouldn't be the problem.

	Actually, hose the horizontal and vertical refresh ranges,and
   it will make a big difference. :-)

	Flip your modes in the XF86Config file so you have the largest
   pixel size at the top, and 600x400 at the bottom.

	Also realize that X alone won't help a whole lot, you also need
   a window manager(?) like twm, fvwm*, kde, gnome, etc.

								Bruce