Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 04:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        bendede@startribune.com (Dave  Bender)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP modems, etc.

Dave  Bender wrote:
> With pointers and prodding from the fine folks on this mailing list, I learned to build a custom kernel configured to Plug and Play devices. Seems to work, and it wasn't too painful. But a question:
>
> In my dmesg, I get these lines:
>
> Probing for PnP devices:
> CSN 1 Vendor ID: USR1004 [0x04107256] Serial 0x69612786
> CSN 2 Vendor ID: TCM5098 [0x98506d50] Serial 0x4b7455f9
> Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
>
> What are those lines telling me? And what's my next step in communicating with my modem? How do I know which COM port/IRQ the PnP system put the modem on?
>
> It is a US Robotics (model 5683) "winmodem", so I'd guess the CSN1 line is the modem. What that other thing is on the second line, I don't know. Didn't think I had other PnP devices on this old box! Any way to find out?

AAAAAAAAAArgh. It's a winmodem!  Sorry, those don't work with any
Unix, to my (incomplete) knowledge.

If you can, exchange it for a "real" one. Or sell it to a Windows user.

Winmodems use the CPU to do all their work, saving the manufacturer a
few cents, and allowing the use of proprietary (mandatory) drivers
and operating system. This CPU-abuse renders them unsuited to a
multitasking OS. There seems to be no interest in writing a driver
for them.

Dave
--
        Is the true purpose of Unix its use, or its administration?