Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:05:37 -0400
From:      Chris Gordon <cagg@interlog.com>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: interrupt-level buffer overflows

Actually, I am attempting to install FreeBSD under Virtual PC, a PC
emulator under Macintosh. When it boots it identifies the UART (both sio0
& sio1) as 16550A. I've tried setting the baud down to 28.8, but it still
didn't help. I don't want to set it any lower or it will take much too
long to download the binaries (and decrease net access speed in general).

Chris

On 4/17/98 5:49 PM, Doug White (dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu) wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Chris Gordon wrote:
>
>> I keep getting buffer overflow errors while trying to communicate with
>> remote sites. I am able to connect via telnet or ftp (from the Fixit
>> disk), however I usually can't go any further. In the debug window
>> (ALT-F2), I continue to get
>>
>> DEBUG: xx more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total xxxxx)
>
>What does the boot messages report as your UART type for this computer? If
>they're anything but 16550s and 16650s then your computer can't handle
>33.6 speeds.  Buy a multi-I/O card with a 16550 UART on it or drop your
>baudrate.
>
>Interrupt-level means that the system couldn't process the data as fast as
>it was coming through and had to drop it.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

(___.__)          Chris Gordon, c/o Planet Earth               (__.___)
(___.__)          http://www.interlog.com/~cagg/               (__.___)
(___.)                     ICQ: 2910764                          (.___)
    "If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"