Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 14:28:13 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:19:53PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> I would suggest to remove the following from the ftp server too, it's
> really better to access the source tree via cvsup, cvsweb, as a .tar.gz
> or similar methods, and the thousands of files makes it a pain to mirror.

This makes it pain for people wanting to get our source code to look at
for reference or use in non-FreeBSD projects.  IMHO CVSweb sucks for
anything other than using it as a "one off" ``cvs log''.  If one wants
all the files to say src/bin/sh, CVSweb is a difficult way to get them.
Same for CVSup for non-FreeBSD users.

> Same goes with the ports
> pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/
> pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/ports/
> pub/FreeBSD/branches/*/ports/

I have to 100% totally disagree here.  I point many people to the checked
out ports tree to get newer bits.  You are thinking as a FreeBSD Power
User here who probably runs -current.  Not in the mind of a lot of our
Linux converts.

> And perhaps make a decistion regarding if we should distribute snapshots
> from ftp.freebsd.org, or only from current.freebsd.org (and then
> transfer the alpha snapshots there instead of ftp-master).

Perhaps we should just go out of the FTP distribution business.  IMHO it
does not seem you really want to be a FTP mirror.

I have always kept one usable Alpha -current snapshot on the FTP site.
current.freebsd.org isn't mirrored, thus anyone wanting to access it has
to do to that one site.  Why mirror ftp.freebsd.org at all then?
BTW, my experiences for the past several years is that connectivity to
current.freebsd.org is less than usable quite often.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          Disclaimer: Not speaking for FreeBSD, just expressing my own opinion.